LAW OFFICE OF JANE E. BEDNAR
Thinking about representing yourself in court?
So, you've decided to act as your own attorney.
Did you know that courts expect you to know the rules and hold you to the same standards as licensed attorneys?
Representing yourself in court can save you money in the short term. However, it can prove costly if you make mistakes that results in the dismissal of your case; having a judgment entered against you; or having the court order you to pay monetary sanctions.
Consider hiring The Law Office of Jane E. Bednar for limited engagements.
The State Bar of California permits attorneys to assist self-represented ("in pro per") clients on a limited basis.
How does it work?
An attorney can step in (and out again) at just about any point in the case. Some of the most common tasks that attorneys provide for in pro per litigants include the following:
- Drafting the complaint or answer
- Drafting or responding to discovery requests (written requests for information that either side can send to an opponent)
- Taking depositions (pre-trial testimony) of parties or witnesses, or defending YOU during your deposition taken by an opponent
- Making motions to force opponents to provide information (discovery)
- Opposing motions, including motions for summary judgment, which can result in the dismissal of your case without trial
- Making court appearances at hearings and settlement conferences
- Strategizing how to maximize the result you obtain in your case
- Writing settlement or other demand letters
An attorney can enter into a written agreement with you to provide the limited services and notifies the court of the limited engagement.
Don't lose your case because you're self-represented!
30-minute consultation $149 by phone or Zoom*
(831) 375-6381 [email protected]
The Law Office of Jane E. Bednar offers knowledgeable, high-quality legal representation to individuals and entities throughout the state of California. Servicing the needs of residents and businesses in Monterey County, Santa Cruz County, San Benito County, Santa Clara County, San Mateo County, San Francisco County, Contra Costa County, Sonoma County, Alameda County in the areas of personal injury, elder abuse, professional malpractice and fee disputes, trust and estate litigation, abusive mortgage practices, consumer fraud, contracts, business & real estate law, and defective construction.
©2021, Jane E. Bednar
DISCLAIMER: Nothing published in this website is intended as a substitute for personalized legal advice. Statements made on this website do not constitute legal advice and do not constitute a guarantee as to outcome. The Law Office of Jane E. Bednar is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The Law Office of Jane E. Bednarwill not dispense legal advice or engage in legal representation outside of the state of California and nothing contained on this website is intended as such. No attorney-client relationship is created through this website. If you would like to become a client, feel free to contact us and make and appointment for a formal consultation at which time, if appropriate, we can agree to enter into an attorney-client relationship through the execution of an attorneys' fee agreement or limited engagement agreement. Until such time, no attorney-client relationship can or will be created betweenThe Law Office of Jane E. Bednar and you.
* Half-hour consultation fee is $149, paid before appointment. Additional time is charged at $350 hourly rate.